Javelina Jundred 100k - My First Ultra-Marathon

It took forever to get here and then all of a sudden it is gone and it has been a week later. Some how I got the idea in my head back in May of this year (2013) to do a 100k. Javelina Jundred 100k seemed like the perfect race for me to do. The race takes place out in the desert of Arizona and is a 15 (point something) loop that runners do 4 times to finish a 100k. The run is in late October which is perfect weather for ultra running.

Anyways, it wasn't until I was at the Denver airport Friday morning Oct 25th that I realized how crazy this whole thing was. But before I knew it, the morning of October 26th came and I was to start my first ultra marathon. I had everything prepared and ready so I knew the only thing left to do was to get started and get the race over with.

Frist Lap // Mile 0 - 15
- Wasn't too bad. Was staying on top of my hydration and gels per hour. Didn't need to stop for any extra water or anything. My plan was to do a fast walking pace, run the downhill's, and alternate running or walking through the flat sections.
- About 500 feet from the headquarters (end of the first 15 miles) I started feeling nauseous and eventually sat down under a bush to relax. Got back up a few minutes later and finished Lap #1

Second Lap // Mile 15 - 30
- This was the bad part. My nausea got worse and every 15 to 20 minutes I was feeling like I was going to pass out or throw up. So I would find shade under a bush, cactus, rock, anything really and to stop recover. This went on for about 6 miles until I got to an ad station.
- This wonderful aid station was ready for me with a cot, iced sponges, water, bag of ice and lots of food. I could really only eat pretzels and potato chips, but that was all I needed to feel better and get back on to the trail. I had no problems for the last 9.8 miles to the headquarters and then I had 30 miles under my belt (just no belt buckle yet).
- Oh the other problem I start having was some really sore and tight muscles in my legs. At one of the aid stations one of the volunteers showed me a stretch to help release the tightness and I repeated this stretch as often as I could.
- Lap #2 Finished 

Third lap // Mile 30 - 45
- Started off well. Keeping up my pace, but once the sun went down that is where the whole race changed. Walking over 7 miles in the dark felt like I was wandering around going nowhere and it lasted FOREVER. It was miserable.
- Had a mental break down a mile away from an aid station. Being passed by an 8 year old and her two pacers at a fast jogging pace didn't help my mental state either, but I eventually made it to the aid station only to continue right on through for another 6 or so miles to the main headquarters.
- I was pushing to get my third lap done with the hopes that I would have a pacer for the last lap. To my disappointment there weren't any pacers available. This just crushed me. Physically I knew I could keep going, but to spend over 5 more hours out in the dark just moving forward was becoming a huge fear that wasn't going away.
- So I called up my friend Cindy and had another mental break down. Cindy has swum 11 miles with me, we've gone backpacking for a week together and she has done a half ironman. Her husband is also a badass and I knew that they were the perfect people to talk to at this time.

Fourth Lap // Mile 45 - 62
- On my fourth and final lap I headed out. Not happy, sore, nauseous was still bugging me, but I had Cindy on the phone. We talked during the rough parts of the next 6 some odd miles. Then I got to the aid station where I only had 9.8 miles left of the race. There I lay down on a cot with a sleeping back and just hung out. It was so nice to be around other people, light, people and soon Andy (the only person I knew in the whole race and the reason I was doing this race in the first place) came along on his 5th lap.
- Mentally this race was defeating me. Physically I was sore but fine to continue. The volunteers were supportive and gave me the advice of "Stop thinking and just keep going. You'll eventually get there."  With that I rolled out of my warm cot and sleeping back and left a safe haven of music, light, people, food and ride back to the headquarters to go back out into the dark alone.
- Sorry for the drama, but seriously this was the hardest part of the race. I did keep going and once I got to the aid station that was only 2 miles away from the finish line I picked up the pace. I was able to run most of the 2 miles in to the finish line and then was so happy to have it all over with. 

Me at the finishline getting my beltbuckle!

What does an ultra runner do after an ultra marathon? Easy... sit by the pool, read cook books and eat!